Saturday, June 5, 2010

chalk paint


I found this idea on Meg's blog a while back and have been waiting for a good opportunity to try it out. Last Friday was the day. It is so simple to make and a lot of fun to use! (And I have been working since Saturday to get all these pics uploaded! My internet has been slooow at uploading for some reason. Thankfully, tonight it was back at it's normal speed!)


All you need are as many bowls as you want colors. Me being the color girl that I am, I had to have six bowls and six colors. :) These bowls were from the $ store and I use them for camp, so I already had them on hand. Next you need one box of cornstarch for each bowl.


Next add drops of food coloring...as much as you want. You can always add more later...



And of course, everyone has to have a turn. :)



This recipe calls for equal parts water and cornstarch...but I totally guessed. I think I probably added a little more water than an equal amount. And that was ok. I suggest a whisk to stir with. That's what Meg did. Seemed like a good idea to me. It's a little hard to stir at first...but keep going till it's all mixed up.


Then move to the biggest part of the driveway...and paint away!! :)

Oh. Bathing suits are very helpful with this activity. I didn't have to stress about them getting their clothes messed up. And clean-up was easy.



Just a warning: if you let your kiddos help squeeze in the food coloring, their skin may turn interesting colors. Although, it could happen to you too - my thumb looked like it was covered in blood! Ha! However, once the color is mixed in and they start painting, none of the color stained their skin.

(And I just have to say that I love that his little hands and feet still look a little bit chubby and babyish. :)



It was so HOT this day that I even let everyone have a popsicle - before lunch! They thought this was spectacular. :)




When holding a popsicle in one hand and a paint brush in the other, be sure to pay attention to which hand you bring to your mouth to lick! LM Giggles can tell you...this chalk paint doesn't taste so good. It did make her giggle though... :}


Working on a masterpiece.



Their masterpiece. An ocean with a purple octopus, a couple mermaids, seaweed, and fish. The brushes were kinda big so the details were a little challenging....



Next I told them to try splattering the paint. This was a fun experience...although I had to dodge a few splatters so my camera wouldn't get "painted"! :)


Then they came up with a new idea...

And this led to....





But since it's just water and cornstarch...and they were in their swim suits, I didn't care a bit! And actually...although there are no pictures to prove it...I made a few footprints myself! :)

Finally it was time to clean up.

And since it was so hot outside, this version of cleaning up was very welcome!

So, go try some chalk paint yourself...and if you do, take some pictures and let me see!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

ok, so I had just finished googling chalk paint b/c I couldn't remember where you told me you had seen it, and then I looked at your blog and there it was! Perfect timing!

Michelle T said...

I love all the things you do with the kids!!:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails