Sunday, May 13, 2012

happy supermom day!!

So in thinking about what kind of post to do for Mother's Day, I quickly realized that I am not good at the typical mushy, sappy posts that a lot of people would do.  I would rather make people laugh.  Then I remembered something I had the idea to do last year but ran out of time.  This year I remembered in just enough time to pull it off.  
There are so many different points of views to go by when talking about Mother's Day.  For some, it's about honoring the mom who works hard to care for you every single day while you're still young.  For others it's the anticipation of being able to celebrate that day for the first time with a baby or child snuggled close.  And for others it's a chance to reflect on what you do and why you do it day in and day out.
I asked three of my friends to write just a few thoughts on the day from their specific points of view.  One you have met before here on my blog.  One you are about to get to know better in the coming week or two (stay tuned! you won't want to miss it!). The other one has actually made appearances somewhere on my blogs and is a closet comedian who I keep telling should go on the road speaking at women's conferences!  Ha!

First is one of my almost-nieces, Emily.  She has been a guest writer on my blog once before as well as being in multiple pictures from time to time.  Em loves to write lists so I told her to make me a Mother's Day list about her mom and here is what she came up with...

The Mommy List:

1. My mom smells pretty good ALL the time.
2. She makes casseroles taste a lot better than... Normal casseroles.
3. She loves me and I guess that should be number one.
4. She can run a camp, be a mother, secretary, wife, daughter, friend, teacher, sister, and daughter-in-law all in one day.
5. I love how she can jam out to Creed and 3 Doors Down in the car one minute, yet cry her eyes out in "The Lucky One" two minutes later.
6. She can't drive. 
7. She can run. Hard.
8. She likes kids. That's a good thing since she had four.
9. Her laugh is hilarious and it makes you happy to see her happy.
10. Philippians 1:3
11. Her oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are so good, she could be making money off of them. A lot of money.
12. She loves to capture the moment whether through snapping a picture of our whole family in front of something we all would forget if she hadn't taken the picture or pasting the picture in a gigantic scrapbook.
13. She homeschools. And HELLO that is a HARD job for any human being!
14. She rocked a perm better than anyone I ever saw.
15. She bought me one of those really big Panera cookies once when I was sick and if that isn't love I don't know what is.
16. She loves sharing the amazingly wonderful, way better than the Panera cookie news of Jesus.
17. She can wear heels really, really, really well.
18. She is allergic to cats.
19. She really loves chocolate so that shows she is somewhat normal.
20. She is so much more than my mommy... She is my super mommy and she's all mine (despite the fact that I share her with 3 siblings and a dog named Calvin) and I love her so so so so so so so so so much.

I LOVE MY MOM!

- Emily :)

Ok, so number 6 cracked me up and anyone who has ridden with me in the back of her car during camp will understand!  lol  :}


My friend Abby is a lot of things, an official comedian being one of them :} , but for the purpose of this post, she has the perspective of anticipating her first Mother's Day...through adoption! :)  (Come on, you knew I had to bring the topic in here somehow! lol)  Abby and I went to the same college and although she was actually Michael's friend first since they were both in the drama group of people, she and I did have one awesome class together where we wrote a skit of the parable of Jesus feeding the 5,000 set in the form of the Princess Bride.  It was epic. :}  Here are Abby's thoughts...


I’ve been pregnant for 24 months now. I know – you’re checking those numbers. Yes, you read it right. This means there are two possibilities. Either Kathryn has asked an elephant to write an article for her blog, or... I’m expecting an adopted child. (FYI – It’s the second one...) Expecting, expecting, and more expecting. They’ve been giving me Mother’s Day candy at church for two years now, and frankly, it feels a little weird. But I totally take the candy anyway. Wouldn’t you?
As I prayed about what to share, that same verse that every adoptive parent shares is what came to mind: Isaiah 40:31 – “But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength...” And I was like, “God, that’s so cliché. Really?” But when you hear from God, you’d better listen! So I started to think about it. Many times when we quote this verse, the focus is on the renewed strength part – the “make me feel better” part. But maybe if we focused on who we’re waiting for – the Lord – we would feel better. Our adoption isn’t taking this long because of our adoption agency or the Indian government or anyone or anything else. The Lord is the one we’re waiting on. And the Lord knows exactly when and how this child should join our family. He knows what He’s doing – what a relief! So... “my soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him.” (Psalm 62:5) All of that said, one thing is for sure. No matter how long this process takes, I’m still gonna take the candy on Mother’s Day.
-Abby Chelian

I know so many of my friends who will read this totally understands what she is talking about and understand all to well the word "waiting.....".  :}  She's right.  His timing is perfect.  (Say it with me "His timing is perfect." ...and repeat as often as necessary!)  :)

(Remember Abby's name...like I said, I will be introducing you more officially to her in the near future!)

Finally, we needed the "mom perspective".  Jennifer is a mom of two elementary aged kiddos, one girl and one boy.  When you meet her she is super quiet, gentle, proper, and has perfect southern manners.  When you get her alone with a small group of our good friends from highschool and we all start sharing stories...her other side appears and you realize...she is actually hilarious and I'm sending her on the road with Abby if she ever goes on tour and needs someone to open for her! The way she tells stories of being a mom should be told for all to hear (even the phone call story!..ask her...it'll make her blush! teehee!)  Here are her thoughts on being a momma on Mother's Day:


  SuperMom
  
Becoming a mom is like opening your eyes one morning
and discovering you are a superhero.
The first time you hold that infant in your arms you realize that you will fight the evil of this world to protect your precious child.  You also realize that spandex is not only fashionable superhero material but necessary to hold everything in place again.
It takes superhuman strength to smile and hold your tongue when someone compliments your covered-in-pink daughter as a cute little boy.  Or says the dreaded “If that were my child…”
If looks could kill…oh yeah, laser vision comes in handy when that child on the playground pushes your child off the swing or that young boy is gazing at your daughter.
Those lightning speed boots are perfect for a bloody knee, a bee sting and the cry of a girl whose friend has hurt her feelings. 
And who doesn’t look good in boots?!?!
Your ‘spidey’ sense starts tingling when something is not right with your child.  Yet, you know that they just want you to listen, cry with them and hold them tight.   Now, THAT is strength, my friend, because what superhero doesn’t want to swoop in and save the day?
 And maybe…possibly…very likely…take out whoever hurt them. 
There is no kryptonite for a mom who burns the midnight oil!  It's when you realize that you stand your tallest on your knees. 
 A praying mother is a huge threat to the enemy!
Being a superMOM means getting up in the morning, putting on your spanx..er, um…I mean spandex…attaching your cape and singing the VeggieTales Larry Boy theme song, “I am THAT hero!”
All the while, hoping your hair isn’t too greasy because you are totally not getting a shower this morning.
Happy Superhero Day from one Wonder Woman to another!
~ Jennifer

No matter what the perspective of your view of today is, I hope you are either spoiling your own momma, allowing yourself to daydream at least a little bit what your child will look, smell, and feel like once they are home and wrapped in your arms, or being properly spoiled and getting to rest and relax...because hey, every super hero has to have her cape washed sometimes!  :}


Happy Mother's Day to all my mom friends, both current and waiting - Shannon, Jennifer x2, Jessica, Catrina, Kathy, Melissa, Anastasia, Leah, Laura, Cassie, Rebekah, Wendy, Abby, Stephanie and all you other ones who happen to read this!

And to my own momma...


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!
LOVE U!!

Ok, two more things real quick....
First, I think that must be about the ONLY time in my entire life that I have worn the color yellow! lol  
And second, all you adopting moms out there...just wait...this is the look you will have on your face some day soon when you see and hold your child for the first time!  :}  It'll be worth every minute of the waiting, I promise.  :)



3 comments:

Margaret h said...

Great. Blog, Kathryn. You are one fantastic daughter! I love you.

Melissa said...

I loved this Kathryn!!! Thanks for filling in for me over the last few years when I needed you-you are definitely Super Nanny and Super Friend!'

Jennifer M. said...

Love it! Thank you! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails