Saturday, February 7, 2009

chickadee circle

Nathaniel, Rebekah, Anna Walton, and Olivia

Let me introduce you to a very dear friend of mine. Her name is Rebekah and I met her when I started working in the nursery at my parents' old church a few years ago on Wednesday evenings. We were under the watchful care of a fabulous guy we fondly refer to as Barney Fife. He used to stop by the nursery once or twice each Wednesday to check on us and as he would leave he would say, "Well, I'm off to make my rounds!" :) But back to Rebekah. As we chatted together for an hour every Wednesday for about two years, we became good friends as we realized we have similar interests, values, and faith. We have both been teachers and nannies, enjoy scrapbooking, stamping, and other crafty projects, love Starbucks coffee and Panera Bread chicken salad sandwiches and broccoli cheddar soup! :)

Two and a half years ago her husband, Nathaniel, graduated from the UT vet school and found an internship and later a job closer to where they both grew up. So they moved from their cute little house that was actually right across the river (and over a hill) from where I live. We are now separated by about three hours but still keep in touch regularly by email, facebook, blogs, pictures, and once in a while a phone call. When my baby was a newborn, even though I had cared for many infants since I started babysitting at the age of eleven, I had never had the responsibility of caring for an infant all day every day. Rebekah told me not to be afraid to call and ask any mommy questions I had - and I did on more than one occasion! (I think baby sleep schedules are sometimes the hardest things to figure out - especially when I'm only there during the day! They grow so fast that just when they seem to get into a good routine, they seem to move onto a new phase...and thus a new sleep schedule!)

Many times she has let me ramble on about a situation knowing that sometimes all a girl needs is a listening ear, even if she didn't have the answer to my problem. She is a great friend and although I most definitely wish we still lived close, I am thankful for her friendship and that it is pretty easy to keep in touch.

She is a wonderful, fun mom and is raising two beautiful, happy little girls to love and serve the Lord. A couple months ago I got an email from her that started out, "We're expecting our third child...but I am not pregnant!" Talk about the range of emotions that can go through you in about 2.5 seconds! :) She went on to share that she and Nathaniel both felt God calling them to adopt their third child. They had both felt this tug separately and prayed about it for a long time before discussing it with eachother. I am sure that when they realized they both felt the same way, it felt like a confirmation that this is the path they were to take.

They are now just starting the adoption process and have found a good agency to work with. While I know they are both excited and long to hold their next child and welcome him or her home, the process can be long and definitely seems almost impossible when they add up all the costs required for an adoption.

Which finally brings me to the point of my post today! :) As I mentioned before, Rebekah enjoys crafty projects and decided to use this hobby to help offset some of the cost of their adoption. She has started an Etsy store online and is making and selling some adorable boutique-style cards, little girls hairbows, pillowcase dresses, burp cloths, etc. Below is a picture of just a few of her items.


pillowcase dress, thank you note cards, and designer burpcloth

She has not asked me to write a post about this and has no clue that I am doing so. :) But if you or anyone you know is ever in need of the perfect baby shower present, thank you notes, or just want a fun outfit for your child, please check out her little store! All proceeds go to help fund their adoption.
Rebekah and Nathaniel are well aware that God will provide every penny they need to bring their baby home and recently saw just how much He provides. Once they decided on the adoption agency, they had to fill out an application and send in an application fee. Rebekah added up the money she had made so far from her online store and a few sales to friends who lived close by and the total equaled the amount needed for the application fee - down to the penny! :)

"And my God will meet all your needs according to his
glorious riches in Jesus Christ." Phil.4:19

If Rebekah and her family happens to come to your mind, please pray that this whole process will go as smoothly as possible, that they will be able to stand the wait for the child that God has for them, and that at every step of the way His name will be glorified. I will be very excited the day I can write a post introducing the newest member of their family to you! :)


The link to Rebekah's etsy store is on the right side of my blog page under the "check out these websites" heading. It is called Chickadee Circle. The link to her blog is the first one in the list of blogs I follow - Wright Family.

1 comments:

Our family said...

kathryn, you are dear! thank you for this sweet post. it made me tear up! you are one of my most precious friends and i am so thankful for YOU!

Related Posts with Thumbnails