Saturday, February 27, 2010

home sweet home and something sweet


Scroll down to my post below and click on "The Thacker Pack" to read the update. Reese and his mommy are now home safely! I even got to see them on CNN as they were reunited! :) So happy that this situation got resolved and has a happy ending - God was obviously with them and protecting them every minute. Seriously, go read the update! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, if you have been reading my blog for very long, chances are you have heard me mention my friend, Leah, and the fabulous cakes she bakes. Leah and I go way back. All the way back to 2nd grade where we were in the same class together. Then I was homeschooled from 3rd grade through highschool. I saw her a few times during that period but not very much. Then we both ended up going to Bryan College, where, while we never really hung out that much, it was always fun to have someone else on campus (besides Michael) to talk to about home. Two years after I graduated, I was back here teaching and also babysitting on Wednesday nights in the nursery at the church my parents used to go to. After church one Wednesday, I ran by Walmart and heard my name in the parking lot. I turned around and there was Leah! Since then we have sort of reconnected and as a bonus I have had the privilege of tasting quite a few of her delicious cakes. She has just recently started a blog of her own showcasing the cakes she has made....like this one:


Mmmm...doesn't that look crazy good?? :) Go check out some more of her awesome cakes and keep her in mind if you ever have an occasion to order a cake! And while you're there, leave her a comment! I know she would love the feedback, especially since she's new at this blog thing! :)


On a different note, I know there are quite a few mom's/teachers/former teachers/and people who just love to read out there who read my blog...even though most of you remain "lurkers" and have never commented! :} I am looking for some beginner chapter books and need some good ideas. My oldest is reading really well and keeps asking me for new books to read and I just recently let her read her first chapter book on her own and I think she's hooked. (yay!) Now I just need some good recommendations - something easy and fun and clean and appropriate for an almost-7 year old. Any ideas?

(If you've never left a comment before, here's a good opportunity to try it out! Simply click the "0 comments" below and it will bring up a little window in which to type your comment, including your name. It will ask you to "choose an identity"...just click on "annonymous" and then click "publish" and your comment will be added to my blog!)

5 comments:

Our family said...

BEAUTIFUL cakes!!!

did you grow up reading beverly cleary's books--ramona quimby age
8, the mouse and the motorcycle, etc.? i might have been in 2nd or 3rd grade when i read them but i remember loving them and there are many in the series. also, bobsey twins used to be my absolute favorites. i'll keep brainstorming! hooray for loving to read!

rebekah

Anonymous said...

My daughter loves Junie B. Jones! Classic productions had a Junie B. play last year and she was totally impressed! Here is the website:
www.classicproductions.org
Have a great day!

Sara said...

Magic Treehouse
Nate the Great
Amelia Bedelia
Junie B Jones

If you go to Scholastic.com, you will get some good ideas.
But my suggestion is to just spend an hour at the library or bookstore and let her look. There are SOOOO many out there now!

Leah said...

Hey! I recognize that cake! hee hee! Thanks for putting it on your blog - I feel like a celebrity now. (blushing)

Love ya!

Our family said...

I just read the update from the Thacker Pack. Amazing!!! Thank you, Lord, for protecting these children and bringing them HOME!

Related Posts with Thumbnails