I love Valentine crafts...and Valentine decorations...and all the fun Valentine stuff in the stores. Mostly cuz it's all red. And pink. ("it's pink!!" heehee...that was for you m.) :} We did a few crafts this year for Valentine's Day and making our own conversation hearts was my favorite. I found it here.

This was so simple and easy to make! All you need is powdered sugar, water, powdered sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, and um...oh...powdered sugar! :} You slowly add 2 lbs of powdered sugar to the liquid part one cup at a time until it becomes stiff like in the picture above.
The next step is plopping it on a **very generously dusted (with more p.s.)*** surface to knead it until it is smooth and not sticky. Did I mention you'll need more p.s. for this part?? lol
This part took the longest - trying to get it not sticky - but was totally fun. This was also the only part my kids did not do themselves. So, to keep them for getting bored just watching me, we pulled out some sticker sheets I'd been saving and they created a pirate scene...which had absolutely nothing to do with V Day. :)
Oh, and before you start kneading, you can let your child have a taste. It doesn't really taste like a candy heart yet - just a lot of sugar - so you may get this face in return...
Ha! :)
Then we mixed in color and flavoring (we chose banana, peppermint, and almond...but there are many more you could do). Next we rolled each color out and cut out our hearts. The smallest size heart cutter I had was about 1 to 1 1/2 in, which was a great size since it was a little easier for the kids to write on them at that size than if they had been as tiny as the "real" ones.

Last, they have to dry for at least 24 hours. The next morning I looked at them and flipped them all over since I could see darker spots on the bottoms where they were obviously not dry yet...and we had a busy day that day so we actually didn't do them until two days after we made them. We used food markers to decorate them.
I asked Mr. Happy what he wanted to write on his green ones and he said, "Um...how 'bout...'God loves you soooo much...cuz he made everything...aaand...etc....etc.(I don't remember everything he said but it was quite the paragraph!)..etc......from Mr. Happy!"
I told him that was an awful lot to put on such a small little heart! and could we just put "God loves you." and he said ok. So we did. :)
We put these in little jars with ribbons around them and gave them to our friends and the kids parents and grandparents...and I totally forgot to take a picture of the jar. I'll try to do that tomorrow and add it later. :)
We had such a fun day today filled with all kinds of friends. And oh my goodness! I LOVE getting to have grownups around for a little bit!! Makes me feel refreshed. Although part of that today was the fact that we were outside almost the entire day - looved the warm weather!! Anyways, still editing those pics and will put them up soon. I'll leave you with just one from today.

If you look closely, he's kissing her nose. :}
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!




0 comments:
Post a Comment