Sunday, July 8, 2012

with all her heart, soul, mind, and strength

My sweet grandmother was a perfect southern lady who willingly followed her husband and her God across the ocean to 6 different countries and 40+ houses to share the good news of Christ.  



She and my grandfather were married for one month short of 67 years and in that time never once had an argument or a fight. Honestly. My mom and her sisters can testify to that. 

Grandma was an excellent house keeper, cook, and hostess.  One of my favorite memories of her is the time when I was in high school and mom and I went to stay with them for the weekend.  We were in the middle of eating a delicious dinner with fresh veggies from my grandfather's big garden when she kind of gave a little gasp and looked at mom and said, "Oh, Margaret! I just realized! I forgot to dust the hangers in the room you're staying in!"  I cracked up! Who in the world thinks to dust the hangers?!  My grandma did. :)

When I was little (elementary age) and we would visit their house, I can remember getting so excited as we would finish a meal because I knew as soon as we were done, she would follow me back to the bedroom I used to sleep in and play with me.  We would sit on the edge of the bed and pretend we were in the car driving to somewhere oh so exciting.  I don't remember much more than that but I remember how she made me feel so special by taking the time to play from me when there were dishes to do and other things to get done. 



Grandma was my last living grandparent.  On June 28th, with my mom and her sister by her side, she went home to be with Jesus and her husband and my little brother and my cousin and all the others that have gone before her.  I am sad that if I ever get married I won't have the privilege of having any of my grandparents there.  But I am proud of the legacy and faith and testimony their lives and their marriages left behind as role models for me to follow.

And I'm proud of my name.

Kathryn Virginia.

Kathryn was my dad's mom.  Virginia was my mom's mom.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." 
Mark 12:30

Thanks for doing just that, Grandma.  I love you. 

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails