However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.
Acts 20:24
And that is what my grandfather did. He was a husband, a father, a grandfather, a son, a brother, a friend, a doctor, a hero, a missionary, but first and always he was a servant of God. He brought glory to his Father in everything that he did. He was kind, gentle, loving, generous and so many more words that I could add.
He always LOVED working outside. And he LOVED homegrown fruits and veggies! :) His tomatos were always the best. I would sometimes eat two whole tomatos just for a snack. Although, not when I was as little as I am in this picture. :)
He loved to laugh and try to make me laugh with him.
I love how he's holding my little hand here. :) I have no idea where this picture was taken...but I think it was from our trip to visit Grandma and Grandpa in Kenya, where they were missionaries.
Can you tell which of his four daughters is my mother? :)He loved one woman more and more every day of the almost 67 years that he and my grandmother were married. When he first started getting alzheimer's he told my grandmother, "I don't know why you have to take care of me when all I've ever wanted to do is take care of you." Even after Alzeimer's had taken most of his memory, he still loved to sit and hold her hand or put his head on her shoulder. He was always a gentleman to her. He loved to plant gardents of fruits and veggies where ever they lived and always made sure to include a bed of sweet smelling roses for my grandmother at each of the 40+ houses they lived in over their lives together. (Ask my grandma and she will gladly tell you the exact number of houses and the location of each one! :)
My Grandma loved him back just as much. This is a peom she had written for him some time ago. It was on the front of the program for his funeral yesterday.
A Lasting Love
All our years together shine,
Each one a luminous star
Against the dark blue background of time.
How fine a thing -
Two lives knit in one,
God's plan -
Watching the leaves bud and fall;
Quiet dawns give way
To noontide's blaze -
Then suddenly evening's haze -
God's Hand.
Hearing the music of the other's soul;
Blending our songs in praise,
Embracing our days with gladness
Learning God's way;
Finding together high adventure
On the common road -
Knowing the deepening joy
Of a lasting love.
~ Virginia Brown
For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.




3 comments:
A friend told me last night of your grandfather's death. What a lovely family and legacy he has left behind. I used to love to hear your mom talk about him and his work. Please know we are praying for all of you...especially his sweet little wife and your dear mom. I am looking forward to meeting him, fully restored, in heaven!!
I'm so sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing, and even sadder that I didn't have the honor of knowing him. What a lovely tribute you have here. Thanks for sharing him with the rest of us. Much love and peace during this time. -Janet
such a sweet, sweet post! We are praying for your whole family. I am thankful that he is with Jesus and is whole now...though I know you all miss him terribly. I love all those old pictures of you when you were little with your Grampa.
Post a Comment