Sunday, October 5, 2008

a very full weekend

Every October for the past several years, I have had Michael's nieces and nephew come stay with me while their parents go to a board meeting for the Christian camp they run during the summer. We all look forward to this weekend together and I enjoy planning fun things to do with the kids. This year, though, I had a bit of help planning the activities, as you will see! :)




Lauren has gotten to know the Brown kids over the past year so I borrowed her for the weekend to hang out with us. The four Brown kids came Friday morning, so for the day I had 8 kiddos! (The baby was asleep at this point.) The weather has been beautiful so we played outside all afternoon. Everyone got along well and the older kids helped out with the younger kids.



Friday night, Wendy and Dinny offered to have a bonfire in the back yard where we roasted marshmallows and made s'mores. (yum!!) They also pulled the TV out on the back patio and we all watched Over the Hedge together. By the end, everyone was snuggled up under blankets, but it was a perfect fall evening activity and everyone loved it!


On Saturday, it has become tradition that Uncle Mike comes and hangs out with us for the day. We had been working on some plans to take the kids up to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlingburg area but our plans changed slightly with the gift of some free tickets thanks to my girls' dad having a vet clinic and knowing lots of people in the area! We kept everything a secret until we got to each place and the kids were properly excited at each stop. :)


First stop was the Ripley's Aquarium! Here are Emily, Claire, and Lauren going through the aquarium tunnel. This was probably their favorite part of the aquarium.


Next stop was an old time photo shop. They had so much fun dressing up in the old clothes! :) The man in charge kept calling me "Mama", Uncle Mike "Pops", Lauren "the Boss", and Evan "Little Man", which totally cracked the kids up! :)

Our final destination, and probably the biggest hit of the day was Dollywood!!! The Brown kids had never been there and couldn't believe we were getting to go! Here we are about to get on the River Rampage ride...where we all pretty much got thoroughly soaked!!



Ok, I LOVE this picture! :) It makes me laugh every time I look at it. This was a new ride. Lauren said she would ride it if Abby would. Michael said it was a little more intense than he thought it would be but he was too busy laughing at Lauren squealing and screaming to bother screaming himself! :) There were about 20 seats like this in a circle and it spun around while going back and forth on a structure shaped like an empty watermelon slice. (The only way I can think to describe it...)


After a fabulous time at Dollywood, complete with a treat of funnel cakes from Uncle Mike, we all came back to my place to order pizza. As an added bonus for me, one of my former roomates from college was in the area for our college's homecoming and spent the night with us! My little apartment was nice and packed with people everywhere! I loved it! :)

Anita, my roomate from my sophomore year of college. We always have a blast together! Her visit was way too short and we stayed up way too late just talking!



We had a very busy, action packed weekend but it was great to get to spend time with some of my favorite kiddos and it went by altogether too quickly!! Ok, and that being said...I am off to BED!!!

1 comments:

Our family said...

Fun, Fun, Fun weekend! I love your new fall layout. Fall makes me so happy!
P.S. Did you know that you can get a pumpkin spice FRAPPACINO this year?! (perfect for the warmer fall days!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails