Last Saturday I took my three kids to Lauren's dance recital. Lauren was in my 3rd grade class a few years ago and her family was one of the two most encouraging families I had! My tough year of teaching that year was made much easier with their help and encourgement! Lauren's family and I have stayed in touch the past few years and this school year, Lauren, who is now homeschooled, has come over once a week to spend the night with me. The purpose is for me to help tutor her in math as well as to give her piano lessons, but we tend to also have a lot of fun together too! :) She has quickly become like a little sister to me...and like a big sister to my kids. She has gotten to know my kids very well and they are always excited to see her. Lauren is 12 now and is very grown up and mature for her age. She loves kids and has the "magic touch" with them! :) We call her a mini-kiki because we have oh-so-much in common. :)
Anyways, back to the dance recital! I had told the girls several days before that we were going to get to go see Lauren dance and so every day last week they would ask, "Is it Lauren's day yet??!" Finally, Saturday morning, the oldest came to the door of her parents' bedroom where I was staying while mommy and daddy were up at another horse race, and I heard her say, "Kiki? Today is Lauren's day now??!" "Yes, it is!" I replied. I then heard her race back down the hallway to her room and announce in a very excited voice to her sister, "Kiki says it IS Lauren's day now!!!!!" They were SOO excited all day long and were thrilled to go pick out flowers to give Lauren - which had to of course be hot purple, blue, and yellow daisies - the kind that have obviously been dyed! :}
The time finally came to leave the house and as we were in the car getting closer, my oldest said, "Oh, Kiki! I just can't WAIT to see Lauren dance!!!" Finally we were in our seats - on the second row! thanks to Lauren's mom - and I looked over at both girls and their eyes were huge with excitement - I was beginning to think they might pop! :} They enjoyed every dance number and oohed and ahhed over the littest dancers in their Little Mermaid cosumes and cheered for Lauren and her best friend Kelsey each time they came on stage.
One of our favorite activities around here during the day is to turn on the cd player and dance around the room together...and I have a feeling that activity will be requested even more in the next couple weeks! :) The baby hangs out on my lap while the girls chat with Lauren's mommy. He loved the dancing too and danced to a lot of the music himself. He especially loved getting to clap so often - and loved that everyone else seemed to be clapping for him too!
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
dance recital
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment