Monday, September 14, 2009

first official day of school...

Since my kiddos were on vacation and then sick for the past almost month, and we hadn't even gotten to start school yet, today was our first official day of school. I'm not that worried about it though - we'll catch up. We already did three lessons each in phonics today because they were so easy. That's the beauty of homeschooling!


T is in 1st grade, E is "really" in kindergarten now, and I am getting J to do as much with us as he can and wants to. They begin the day with a journal entry. T writes one sentence about whatever is on her mind (usually something that happened the day before. We tried this out a couple days last week.) and then colors a picture about it. E writes one word and colors a picture (so far all animals). J tells me what he is going to draw and then we practice writing the letter it begins with (so far it's been Tractor, Dumptruck, and Football...yup...he's all boy!). :)

Then it's on to Circle Time. But as we discussed today, when the three of them sit on the floor...it makes a triangle. And even if I sit on the floor with them...it makes a square. Sooo, I decided to have them sit ON a circle!


I tried to find circles for them to sit on and finally just decided to make them. I found fleece on sale at a craft store for 50% off and cut out two circles for each mat, cut a fringe around each layer, and tied each bottom and top fringe piece together. (Thanks, Rebekah, for helping with the idea - especially of adding their initials!)


Back to seatwork! She loves math and understands it quickly, however she wants her letters to be perfect so that part can take her a while.


Her first official kindergarten phonics page! :)


He's known his colors for a long time now, but is completely proud to have his very own school page, pencil box, and folder to put his papers in - just like his big sisters! He did great today and sat quietly at the table and waited while I explained his sisters pages to them. When he was done with his page, he threw his hands up and yelled, "I did it!!!" :) Which I loved. He's still my baby.

I think I am going to love homeschooling all three (ish) this year if we have more days like today! We were so into everything this morning that we almost forgot about lunch! Our hungry tummies reminded us though. :)


2 comments:

Our family said...

I LOVE the circles!! They turend out SOOO cute. You might need to add them to your shop:)

Dad said...

I couldn't color between the lines in Kindergarten! Maybe that's because big sister was a commercial art major in college, and she got all the talent.

Related Posts with Thumbnails